I am currently in the middle of taking an online yoga teacher training course. It is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I chose to do an online course because I wanted to work at my own pace, which has proven to be a real challenge for me. I signed up for the online training the first week in October, the same week I found out I was pregnant. The entire first trimester I had no motivation to do anything, especially not work on yoga teacher training. I did get through the first two texts during that time. For the past 2 months, I have been working 2-3 days/week as an OT which has been taking up a lot of my free time, and limiting the time I have to spend on my coursework. The papers and exam are hanging over my head and I know I just need to designate some time to just get them done. I have until October 2015, however I fear that as soon as the nursery season starts up again, and then the baby comes, I will have very limited time to work on it. I’m excited to finish the course and need a kick in the pants to just get going on it.
Being certified to teach yoga will open up opportunities for me to expand my yoga practice and maybe even incorporate yoga into my OT. I have a few ideas or possibilities on how I could use this training:
1. Market myself to businesses to do a yoga class for their employees (possibly Mercy?), especially businesses where employees are sitting at a desk all day or are in high stress environments.
2. Yoga for kids. I really enjoyed doing the pediatric yoga at the Autism center. I would love to do this again and would really love to do private yoga lessons for kids.
3. Prenatal Yoga classes: I’m not sure how this would work, but maybe something through the hospital or clinics in town? I think having a class offered to pregnant women (maybe with daycare provided), would be a great service to add.
4. Early morning yoga: I am looking for an excuse to get my behind out of bed at least one day/week, and if I taught an early morning yoga class, I wouldn’t have a choice in the matter.
5. Yoga at the nursery: I would love to have a building here at Natural Plus to house yoga classes and workshops. It would be so wonderful to have a yoga class here when the nursery is full of green and blooming plants and flowers.
I wrote this blog post to get me motivated about finishing my online teacher training course. I do have to record a video of a couple classes that I teach, so those might wait until after baby, but I would really love to have all of my other course work completed and handed in before June. I better get to work!